Compliance Advisory Manager (1st line of defence)
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
The 1st Line of Defence (1LOD) Risk Function are responsible for managing risks across the organisation, working closely with cross-business stakeholders and adopting the bank’s risk framework to embed effective and efficient risk management into everything we do.
We are looking for an experienced Compliance Manager to join our team, partnering our new point-of-sale finance product. The role is an exciting opportunity for a compliance professional motivated by driving change and contributing to delivering responsible growth and a truly customer centric experience.
A day in the life:
- You'll report into the Senior Risk Manager and work closely with a range of stakeholders to ensure the business operates within risk appetite, through the application of commensurate mitigating controls.
- Are proficient in the regulatory space in which the business operates and able to effectively communicate requirements to key stakeholders.
- Provide expert and practical regulatory guidance and support in relation to businesses products, policies and processes.
- Act as the compliance subject matter expert on business projects and represent compliance at relevant business committees & forums.
- Provide support and guidance to business areas when resolving identified compliance issues and lead in the design and execution of any associated customer remediation.
- Lead in defining solutions in response to risks which are i) smart and proportionate, ii) sustainable and iii) considered (i.e. not just plugging a gap but taking a holistic view of the issue at hand and considering what is needed to uplift the risk environment)
- Drive education and awareness of compliance, conduct and regulatory risk management practices across the business.
- You'll be an experienced compliance professional with a strong understanding of the consumer credit space. Proficiency in CONC, SYSC and DISP is essential.
- Proven track record of experience in compliance, conduct and regulatory risk within the financial services sector and able to demonstrate technical expertise on regulatory requirements.
- Experienced in leading the design and execution of compliance led reviews.
- Able to lead stakeholders to identify areas of risk, support in the delivery of change across the business and look for ways to improve our existing practices.
- Be technical, outcome orientated, and be able to apply the risk framework to propose optimal outcomes for customers and the business.
- A strong communicator who can articulate issues clearly, flagging trade-offs and solutions in order to gain buy-in to your proposals.
- Act as a source of knowledge and point of contact for business colleagues in your area such as second line risk and first line counterparts.
- Guide first line teams in completing comprehensive risk assessments and promoting a risk-aware culture across the business.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with a Point-of-Sale finance product.
- Practical working knowledge of financial crime legislation and regulation.
- Experience Appointed Representative regulatory expectations.
- Regulatory change management and project management skills and experience.
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.