Senior Platform Engineer
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
The Platform Engineering team is at the core of Zopa and has been created to improve the way we deliver our infrastructure and evolve the reliability engineering culture.
This role will sit in our Zopa Reliability Engineering team and work across various projects in our new point of sale finance business DivideBuy.
We are looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to lead on the evolution of DivideBuy’s reliability engineering culture and infrastructure platforms; leading the transition to IaaC environment, finding opportunity to replace BAU tickets with automation and APIs and designing reliable, scalable and secure services.
A day in the life:
- Work on a transformation programme: Applying and contributing to company standards to build a new platform in a consistent way
- Emphasis on automation: Introducing Terraform to provision and manage all aspects of the cloud environment
- Adding controls with security and governance in mind
- Working closely with other platform engineers to gain alignment and espouse a culture of automation for the new stack
- Design processes and tools that help our developers to take more control of their products and the infrastructure they need
- Participate in an on-call team rota
The ideal candidate:
- You have at least 6+ years experience as a Platform Engineer or similar position
- You are proactive in your approach – you identify what needs to be done and collaborate with key stakeholders to deliver it, rather than waiting for tickets to come in
- You have strong Linux administration knowledge (FlatcarOS, Amazon Linux 2 or any Linux in general)
- Experience and interest with at least one programming language and the willingness to dabble in others (Bash, Python, Go)
- You have experience with Linux containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- You have experience with Terraform for IaaC
- You are well versed in AWS and relevant services
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?