Senior Impairment Modelling Analyst
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
As a Senior Impairment Modelling Analyst you will be working on a broad range of data and modelling techniques to design, develop and maintain a suite of impairment models for our unsecured instalment loans, credit cards and auto loans portfolios.
You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the project, including data processing, feature engineering, model optimisation, deployment and monitoring of suite of impairment models for our unsecured instalment loans, credit cards and auto loans portfolios.
This role sits within our Credit Modelling and Data Science function where you will be working with the other data scientists/analysts developing modelling solutions to inform impairment allocation.
A day in the life:
- Own the design of modelling solutions (model developments, calibrations, analytics etc.) to high technical standards. Develop innovative approaches to calculate impairment provisions.
- Own the implementation of new IFRS9 models as well as monitoring and updating existing ones.
- Designing and maintaining the controls to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our impairment calculation process.
- Drawing insights from data and explaining the trends in the impairment provisions
- Supporting the risk oversight team in their work as risk oversight owners for prudential risks
- Take ownership for the delivery of modelling and analytic projects, ensuring these are completed in line with business requirements.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 2 years of experience developing impairment models
- Proficiency in SQL
- Working knowledge of Python
- Understanding of the PyData stack (e.g.Pandas, Scipy, MatPlotLib, Scikit-learn, Keras)
- Understanding of statistics (e.g., Monte Carlo, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, maximum likelihood, bootstrap, Bayesian inference)
- Understanding of machine learning algorithms: logistic regression, random forest, gradient boosted trees, neural networks, k-means, etc
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?