Director of Accounting
Misfits Market is a mission-driven company creating the affordable online grocery store of the future. We’re a high-growth startup whose north star is making high-quality food more accessible to more people. By tackling inefficiencies in the food system, we’ve created a new supply chain that brings value to farmers and food makers, fights food waste, and saves our customers an average of $25.17 per order. Since 2018, our passionate and motivated team of problem solvers has built a full online grocery marketplace and rescued more than 228 million pounds of food. With each new zip code we serve (we’re up to 38,000 now!), we’re one step closer to our goal of eliminating food deserts in America by 2025.
The Finance team is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, and consolidation of results for the combined Company. Following Misfits Market's acquisition of Imperfect Foods in October 2022, the consolidated company is strategically positioned to advance its shared mission by adding immediate scale and depth to resources. The Finance team is uniquely positioned to support the Company’s growth and evolution and to ensure its processes adapt in an agile way.
As a member of the Finance team’s General Accounting team reporting directly into the Controller, the Director of Accounting will be responsible for overseeing the preparation and consolidation of monthly financial statements, developing sustainable and scalable processes for the new combined Company, assisting in the preparation and review of financial statements, and supervising a team of accountants.
- Manage month-end close activities, including review of journal entries and balance sheet accounts reconciliations and preparing and analyzing monthly financial statements for presentation to Finance Leadership.
- Oversee the general ledger, and lead the accounting for revenue, inventory, and all ongoing operational and technical accounting for the consolidated Company.
- Support year-end financial statement reporting process, including preparing notes and supporting schedules and develop and maintain internal controls in responsible areas of financial reporting.
- Assist with the coordination of external auditors, manage the audit process for areas within job scope, and provide audit supporting documentation for interim and annual audits.
- Support the Controller in performing technical accounting research and developing technical accounting analysis for various transactions.
- Work with members of the Finance team, as well as cross-functionally with other departments, to build great partnerships, and to obtain accurate and timely information required to meet accounting deadlines.
- Challenge the “status quo" and lead process improvement to streamline processes and support the revamp of month-end close.
- Responsible for developing or enhancing internal accounting policies and internal control documentation, including process narratives, risk and control matrices, flowcharts, etc.
- Oversee Company tax-related matters to ensure timely compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance
- CPA license required
- 7+ years of progressive work experience with a combination of Big 4 accounting and/or industry experience
- Deep understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP) and ability to apply this knowledge to both daily operational accounting tasks and analytical tasks
- Prior experience directly managing a team of accountants
- Demonstrated success building relationships across various levels within an organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with an acute attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast-paced work environment while meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated - able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically
- Netsuite experience a plus
- Salary Range: $140k-$165k
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible work location with remote availability
- Free Misfits Market subscription
- Multiple health, dental, and vision plan options
- Life Insurance
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
For CA applicants, please see here for Misfits Market's Job Applicant Privacy Notice" with the link