Real Estate Paralegal (Leasing)
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
As a Leasing Paralegal at Compass, you will be an integral part of the Legal Team primarily supporting the growth and maintenance of our commercial real estate portfolio. You will be part of a group of talented legal professionals and the projects you work on will challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- eager to support Compass’ corporate governance, create and improve processes and organize documents. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
Please note that this is a 100% onsite role in our Chicago office.
At Compass You Will:
- Support in-house attorneys in all aspects and stages of the processing of lease documents related to commercial real estate leasing transactions (i.e. commercial leasing agreements, lease amendments, subleases, extensions, and terminations) from inception through completion and execution.
- Under the supervision of in-house attorneys, assist with the preparation of estoppel certificates, guarantees, subordination non-disturbance and attornment agreements, and work letters, as well as manage the Company’s portfolio of letters of credit.
- Respond to lease-related issues and requests from our operations personnel in the field and from various corporate departments (Finance and Accounting, Leasing, Lease Administration, Workplace Operations, etc.)
- Coordinate with internal compliance attorneys, business clients, landlords, and insurance brokers regarding insurance questions and COIs.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal business clients to support and maintain our corporate real estate portfolio throughout the United States.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures to determine appropriate action, including, but not limited to, identifying issues that require the input of other Legal Team members and taking steps to escalate these matters appropriately.
- Assist with the development and implementation of processes for efficient and streamlined operations, including work flow between the Legal Team and other teams at Compass.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience; Notary Public a nice plus.
- 6+ years of real estate and related experience as a paralegal at a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Significant experience in reviewing and drafting lease documents, with the ability to prepare, understand, and interpret sophisticated leases.
- Detail oriented, organized, and diligent with the ability to multitask, work under time sensitive deadlines, and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Proactive, problem-solving attitude and strong work ethic without extensive supervision.
- Practical and solutions-oriented with the desire and ability to understand and articulate our business positions.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Sound judgment about when it is appropriate to make decisions and resolve issues independently and when it is necessary to escalate more significant issues to a supervisor.
- Proficiency and high aptitude with computer skills, such as MacOS, MS Office, GSuite, and Adobe Acrobat.
- A willingness to support the Legal Team on a variety of additional projects and tasks on an as needed basis.
Compensation: The base pay range for this position is $70,000-$85,600 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.