At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers, and sellers through technology. Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile, and AI technologies enable.
As one of the fastest-growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry.
At Compass, our mission is to “help everyone find their place in the world.” We celebrate the diverse communities we are a part of, and strive to reflect that diversity in our hiring. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone's place. Our entrepreneurship principles bind us together and inform how we tackle the tremendous challenges ahead.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager in the Transaction Journey organization, you will lead a team to build a collaborative transaction management platform that streamlines the process of buying and selling homes. Transaction Management helps agents manage transaction processes from initial contact to close, including accessing state and local forms, sending documents for electronic signature, and managing offers for buyers and sellers. Our tools make it easy for agents to work with clients and other parties to complete critical tasks throughout the transaction, so that they can spend less time managing transactions, and more time bringing in business.
Your role will involve working on projects that impact the highest priorities of our technology roadmap and the business, all while collaborating cross-functionally with multiple teams. Engineering managers influence teams outside of their own organization and deliver results that move the needle at the organizational level and impact company-wide goals. You will be responsible for managing a highly talented and energetic set of developers for delivering critical roadmap features. Help develop and grow a strong and efficient team that can Own, Innovate and Move Fast. Build a culture of collaboration and trust. Build a team of strong engineers and build solutions that are reliable, scalable and extensible. The role will require you to work with Product Managers, Designers and Staff Engineers to identify and deliver the right long term solution for our customers.
- Ensure that your team's software adheres to transaction and user data privacy compliance regulations.
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of software engineers, fostering a collaborative and high-performance culture.
- Provide guidance and support in career development, skill enhancement, and performance management for team members.
- Oversee the entire software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering to deployment, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality software solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align technical solutions with business goals.
- Collaborate with the technical team and product management to drive innovation, maintain code quality, and ensure adherence to software development best practices.
- Work closely with senior leadership and other stakeholders to define, execute, and report on the software development strategy in alignment with the company's overall goals.
- Identify and implement process improvements to enhance team efficiency and project delivery.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience in Software Development
- 3+ years of experience in hiring, managing and developing software engineering teams of 5-10 engineers.
- A highly technical, hands-on developer and an effective people manager with experience directly leading teams.
- Experience in designing, developing, and maintaining web applications, distributed backend systems or data platforms.
- Experience with technologies such as Python, Typescript, Java, Golang, AWS, Kafka, React.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and inspire a team.
- Proven track record of using agile principles with multiple teams and products to meet project goals and deliver high quality products.
- Excellent communication skills, utilized to collaborate both within Engineering and across all functions of the company to drive engineering initiatives.
- Excellent mentoring and review skills to help engineers make technical and career progress.
- Exceptional focus on customers by building products that are stable and reliable.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
If you are a dynamic and experienced Software Engineering Manager looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity, we invite you to apply and contribute to the success of Compass. Join us in shaping the future of real estate innovation!
The base pay range for this position is $174,400-$194,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.