At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
As an Engineering Manager at Compass, you will work on projects that impact the highest priorities of our technology roadmap and the business, all while collaborating cross-functionally with multiple teams. Engineering managers influence teams outside of their own organization and deliver results that move the needle at the organizational level and impact company-wide goals. You will be responsible for managing a highly talented and energetic set of developers for delivering critical roadmap features. Help develop and grow a strong and efficient team that can Own, Innovate and Move Fast. Build a culture of collaboration and trust. Build a team of strong engineers and build solutions that are reliable, scalable and extensible. The role will require you to work with Product Managers, Designers and Staff Engineers to identify and deliver the right long term solution for our customers.
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of software engineers, fostering a collaborative and high-performance culture.
- Provide guidance and support in career development, skill enhancement, and performance management for team members.
- Oversee the entire software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering to deployment, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality software solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align technical solutions with business goals.
- Collaborate with the technical team and product management to drive innovation, maintain code quality, and ensure adherence to software development best practices.
- Work closely with senior leadership and other stakeholders to define and execute the software development strategy in alignment with the company's overall goals.
- Identify and implement process improvements to enhance team efficiency and project delivery.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience in Software Development
- 3+ years of experience in hiring, managing and developing software engineering teams of 5-10 engineers.
- A highly technical, hands-on developer and an effective people manager with experience directly leading teams.
- Experience in designing, developing, and maintaining web applications, distributed backend systems or data platforms.
- Experience in any programming languages such as Java, Python, Golang.
- Experience with microservice architecture, distributed computing and cloud platforms.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and inspire a team.
- Proven track record of agile management with multiple engineering teams and products.
- Excellent communication skills, utilized to collaborate both within Engineering and across all functions of the company to drive engineering initiatives.
- Excellent mentoring and review skills to help engineers make technical and career progress.
- Exceptional focus on customer by building products that are stable and reliable
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.