Senior Software Engineer
Chicory believes in the power of recipes to inspire consumers and drive commerce. As the leading contextual commerce advertising platform, we transform recipe content into commerce media. Our platform powers a network of recipe publishers and retailers that CPG brands use to reach 123 million high-intent grocery shoppers each month. Chicory's contextual advertising and shoppable recipe solutions can be found on 5,200+ websites and food blogs, including the Food Network, Delish and LandOLakes.com. Sites enabled with our technology take grocery shoppers from inspiration to checkout in just a few clicks, driving products to cart for 60+ leading retailers.
Recognized as a 2022 Top 50 Best Small Companies to Work For by BuiltIn NYC and as a 2022 Fastest-Growing Private Company in America by Inc. 5000, we believe that what sets Chicory apart is our diverse experiences and skillsets coupled with our shared values. Learn more at www.chicory.co.
About The Role
As our Senior Software Engineer, you'll define and build the future of contextual commerce advertising. As an early member of our team, you will provide strategic and technical guidance, shape team culture, and work alongside our best-in-class Engineering team to lay out the company's roadmap. You’ll own backend development and drive the design and implementation of large-scale software systems. The experience you gain with us will be unique and unmatched. If you are interested in revolutionizing the digital shopping experience, we'd love to hear from you!
- Backend Development: Take ownership of backend development tasks using Python and Go, ensuring high-quality code and adherence to best practices. Develop and maintain web applications using frameworks like Django(Python) and Echo (Go).
- Large-Scale Software Systems Design: Design and implement large-scale software systems that are efficient, flexible, and scalable. Architect and optimize system components for improved performance and maintainability.
- Web Development: Develop and maintain REST APIs for seamless integration with frontend applications. Collaborate with frontend developers to ensure smooth communication between the frontend and backend systems.
- Cloud Platforms: Deploy and manage applications on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or similar cloud platforms. Utilize cloud services and infrastructure for reliable and scalable application deployment.
- Database Management: Design and optimize SQL databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL, for efficient data storage and retrieval. Implement caching solutions using Redis or other caching systems to enhance performance.
- Strategic and Technical Guidance: Provide significant strategic and technical guidance as an early member of the team. Collaborate with colleagues to tackle technical challenges, shape the engineering culture, and contribute to the company's roadmap.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and frontend engineers. Communicate technical concepts and ideas clearly to team members and stakeholders.
- Build upon team and company culture and act as a champion of Chicory Values & Principles
- Minimum of 6 years of professional experience as a software engineer, with a focus on backend or full stack development.
- Large-Scale Software Systems Design: Proven experience designing and implementing large-scale software systems. Ability to architect efficient, flexible, and scalable systems.
- Strong proficiency in Python and Go programming languages for web development. Experience with frameworks such as Django (Python) and Echo (Go) is preferred.
- Database Knowledge: Strong understanding of SQL databases and experience working with relational databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL. Familiarity with Redis or other caching systems is a plus.
- Web Development: Solid understanding of web development principles, including REST APIs. Experience with developing and consuming APIs is required.
- Cloud Platforms: Experience with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or similar cloud platforms. Familiarity with deploying and managing applications in a cloud environment is essential.
- Containerization and Orchestration: Proficiency in Docker and Kubernetes for containerization and orchestration of applications.
The base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $180,000 annually.
Location: New York/Hybrid or Remote
Benefits & Perks
Focusing on your health and wellbeing:
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits, including dental + vision plans
- Flexible paid time off policy for vacation, sick days, mental health days, and more!
- 14 paid holidays + flexibility to take paid time off for any other holidays you observe
- Employer-paid membership to One Medical
- Free ClassPass membership
Creating a culture in which you can thrive:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- Flexible remote and hybrid work style arrangements
- Fun and friendly office in NYC stocked with free snacks
- Virtual and in-person outings and fun activities with our amazing team
- Dog-friendly workplace
Supporting you financially:
- Competitive compensation package, including base salary + stock options
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) + Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401k retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
At Chicory, we know that we are strongest when every person is valued, respected and treated with dignity. We actively put aside assumptions and judgment and work to make space for all points of view. We do serious work but don’t take ourselves too seriously. We consider our playful spirit a competitive advantage to building better relationships and finding the smartest solutions. We produce the best results by hiring smart people and giving them the space, safety and the resources to do their work. We are building a company people love working with and working at.
Our Commitment Statement to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging
At Chicory, diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are key ingredients in our recipe for success. Our diverse experiences, backgrounds, identities, and ways of thinking elevate the level at which we operate; this allows us to innovate in old-school industries by looking not at how things have been done, but how they should be done. We are building a workplace built on merit and equity where every one of us has a voice at the table.
- Operate with Empathy
- Embrace Individuality
- Make Chicory Fun!
- Be Good People: We bring the best out of each other by being good to each other. We operate with empathy, respect and integrity. We balance confidence with humility. We believe we can build a great company and have fun doing it.
- Seek to Understand: Leaders seek first to understand, then to be understood. Instead of
- demanding things of others, or throwing orders around, we ask probing questions to understand where others are coming from. Leaders are collaborative and strive to solve problems together.
- Own It: Leaders are owners. They take full responsibility for their areas of the business. They actively seek out ways to make improvements and create efficiencies. They catch and fix issues before they are pointed out to them. They don’t take the role of bystander. They take pride in the work that they do.
- Bias for Action: Time will always be the limiting factor and indecision stifles progress. Most decisions are reversible. Leaders act today instead of waiting until tomorrow. The biggest mistake we can make is to be afraid of making mistakes.
- Separate Your Ego From Your Position: Great leaders actively seek out reality and are willing to change their stance. They promote positive conflict and let the best decisions come to light, even if it may cause them pain. They can admit when they are wrong and commit wholeheartedly to decisions once they are made. They fight for the greater good of the company, not themselves.
- Hold High Standards: The quality of products, services and processes determines the speed at which we can operate. Leaders set high standards for themselves and their teams. They hold these standards with conviction and actively communicate when they are not being met.
- Have a Beginner’s Mind: Just because something has been done a certain way doesn’t mean it’s the best way. We actively take moments out of our day to reflect on the past, present and future. This allows us to look at each challenge with a fresh perspective and welcome viewpoints that challenge the status quo.
- Be Deliberate: Great leaders are intentional with their words and actions. We are direct. We avoid overcomplication. We strive to accomplish more with less.
- Master Your Craft, Expand Your Knowledge: Leaders have a deep understanding of the business and the industry we operate in. They know how their skills impact their role, how their role impacts the business and how the business impacts the industry. They take time to read the world to anticipate the future. They are always improving themselves and those around them.
Something looks off?